Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Music

So I was listening to music again and I came across the song, "Behind These Hazel Eyes" by Kelly Clarkson. It really made me laugh. I used to listen to that song when I was down or had just gone through something with a boy, and it would give me this empowering feeling that I was better than that and I could get through anything without [insert name here] in my life. 

I was listening to it again today and simply had to laugh. The whole premise of the song is that she can't be anything without this guy by her side, and she's finally breaking out of that and not letting the guy see her cry. One of the lines "you made me feel alright for once in my life" made me laugh especially because it makes me think that the message we're giving girls is, "your life is so messed up, so go find a guy to make it all better. He's the only thing that can fix it." I'll admit, I've fallen prey to this lie as well, but it simply IS NOT TRUE. And being where I am now with God and knowing that He is the only one who makes life feel alright, and he will not abandon us, makes me feel secure and safe, more than any guy ever could. He wants to see our tears, not because they give him power over us but just so that He can love and comfort us.

The very first verse also gets me when it says "I used to stand so tall, I used to be so strong, Your arms around me tight, Everything, it felt so right, Unbreakable, like nothing could go wrong, Now I can't breathe, No I can't sleep, I'm barely hanging on" again emphasizes that we can't be anything without a guy. I really hate that. If we can only stand tall and be strong when we're leaning on the arms of a guy, are we really standing tall and strong?? Shouldn't instead, our strength come from God. His strength will last and will not abandon. 

So as I had a fun laugh this morning, I am glad to know that I stand strong because I have God and that He is the only one that will keep me safe and secure, making life feel alright. 

I understand this song is just the hurt and sadness of a break up, and I definitely have been there and thought this song completely was talking about me, but I'm just happy to be where I am, not attached to any guy, just hanging on Christ. =)

No comments: